On May 16, the IRS released its Exempt Organization Newsletter, Issue Number 2012-09. Topics include the following:
- EO redesigns homepage on IRS.gov
- Holly Paz named Director, EO R&A
- May 30 EO webinar: Starting and Operating Charities for Disaster Relief
- IRS seeks applications for Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program grants
- Information for employers on health care benefits reporting
- News for enrolled agents awaiting renewal cards
- Telephone Excise Tax refund deadline July 27
- TEB to host two free telephone forums
1. EO redesigns homepage on IRS.gov
2. Holly Paz named Director, EO R&A
Holly Paz was formally named as Director of Exempt Organizations (EO) Rulings and Agreements (R&A) effective May 6. She is responsible for managing EO’s determination letter program and the development of guidance and rulings.
3. May 30 EO webinar: Starting and Operating Charities for Disaster Relief
This webinar explains the basic requirements for staring a tax-exempt charity and the ways new and existing organizations can properly provide disaster relief under federal tax rules.
It will cover:
- the kinds of help organizations can provide
- operational and recordkeeping requirements including fundraising and working with volunteers
- rules for recipients of disaster relief
- the deductibility of charitable contributions made to organizations
The live presentation will be 2 p.m., Wednesday, May 30. Click here to register.
In early June, this presentation will be posted on the IRS Video Portal – where you can also view these EO webinars:
- Starting off Right – What New 501(c)(3) Organizations Need to Know Started a new 501(c)(3)? Keep it on track with this helpful webinar.
- Starting off Right – What New NON-501(c)(3) Organizations Need to Know
This webinar provides information for new nonprofits, including: 501(c)(4) – Social Welfare groups 501(c)(5) – Labor, Agricultural & Horticultural 501(c)(6) – Business Leagues 501(c)(7) – Social Clubs 501(c)(8) – Fraternal Beneficiary Societies 501(c)(10) – Domestic Fraternal Societies.
- International Activities of Domestic Charitable Organizations
This webinar helps U.S. domestic charitable organizations understand the rules for tax-exempt status in the international arena.
4. IRS seeks applications for Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program grants
The Internal Revenue Service is accepting applications for the Tax Counseling for the Elderly and Volunteer Income Tax Assistance grant programs, which will allow some organizations to apply for annual funding for up to three years.
5. Information for employers on health care benefits reporting
New information is available on the Form W-2 Reporting of Employer-Sponsored Health Coverage page of IRS.gov. This information includes a chart detailing the types of coverage to report, transition relief for many employers and questions and answers about the reporting requirements.
6. News for enrolled agents awaiting renewal cards
Some enrolled agents are still experiencing delays in the processing of renewal applications. Enrollment cards with an expiration date of March 31 are valid for another 60 days or until receipt of a new card. Search Delay for some enrolled agents awaiting renewal cards on IRS.gov for additional information.
7. Telephone Excise Tax refund deadline July 27
Announcement 2012-16 reminds taxpayers to request a Telephone Excise Tax Refund if they have not done so. The Service stopped collecting the tax on long distance service in 2006. Since then it has administered a simplified procedure for taxpayers to request a refund of excise taxes paid. Taxpayers have until July 27, 2012 to request refunds.
8. TEB to host two free telephone forums
The office of Tax Exempt Bonds (TEB) plans to host two free telephone forums.
For more information, go to Tax Exempt Bonds Community on IRS.gov.