On December 5, the IRS released its Exempt Organization Newsletter, Issue Number 2014-19.
- Register for IRS webinar: Help for charities
- Announcement addresses realignment of technical work between TE/GE and Office of Associate Chief Counsel
- Register for EO workshops
- Modified 403(b) plan Listing of Required Modifications coming soon
1. Register for IRS webinar: Help for charities
Thursday, Dec. 18 at 2 p.m. ET
- Section 501(c)(3) Exempt Purposes
- Key activities including
o Private benefit or inurement activities
o Lobbying or legislative activities
o Filing requirements
o Unrelated business income activities
o Failing to operate with an exempt purpose
2. Announcement addresses realignment of technical work between TE/GE and Office of Associate Chief Counsel
Announcement 2014-34 addresses the transfer of certain technical responsibility for issues involving exempt organizations, qualified retirement plans, and individual retirement annuities and accounts (IRAs) to the Office of Chief Counsel that will occur with the realignment of the Tax Exempt and Government Entities Division (TE/GE).
3. Register for EO workshops
Register for our upcoming workshops for small and medium-sized 501(c)(3) organizations on
- Dec. 9 – Austin, TX
Hosted by Austin Community College
- Jan. 9 – Salt Lake City, UT
Hosted by University of Utah & the Utah Nonprofits Association
4. Modified 403(b) plan Listing of Required Modifications coming soon
In conjunction with establishing the 403(b) pre-approved plan program in 2013, the IRS issued sample plan language – 403(b) Plans Listing of Required Modifications (LRMs) – that sponsors of 403(b) pre-approved plans may use to draft their plans.
The modified 403(b) LRMs will be available before the April 30, 2015, deadline to submit a 403(b) pre-approved plan under the program. Section 403(b) pre-approved plan sponsors will have an opportunity to make changes to reflect the modified 403(b) LRMs.