On December 11, the IRS released its Exempt Organization Newsletter, Issue Number 2014-20.
- Register for IRS webinar: Help for charities
- ACA Information Center for Tax Professionals
- IRS Updates Health Insurance Marketplace on IRS.gov
- IRS tips for year-end gifts to charity
- Deadline nears for Return Preparers to qualify for new IRS program
- Register for EO workshops
1. Register for IRS webinar: Help for charities
Thursday, Dec. 18 at 2 p.m. ET
- Section 501(c)(3) Exempt Purposes
- Key activities including
o Private Benefit or Inurement activities
o Lobbying or legislative activities
o Filing requirements
o Unrelated business income activities
o Failing to operate with an exempt purpose
2. ACA Information Center for Tax Professionals
Find information for your individual, business and payroll clients in the ACA Information Center for Tax Professionals.
3. IRS Updates Health Insurance Marketplace on IRS.gov
The IRS recently updated the Health Insurance Marketplace page on IRS.gov. The page now has two key sections. The first focuses on the Form 1095-A and what individuals and families can expect at tax time with respect to information about their 2014 Marketplace coverage. Notably it includes information about how to contact the federal and state marketplaces. The second section focuses on the current open enrollment period that runs through Feb. 15.
4. IRS tips for year-end gifts to charity
The IRS reminds individuals and businesses making year-end gifts to charity that several important tax law provisions have taken effect in recent years.
5. Deadline nears for Return Preparers to qualify for new IRS program
The IRS has begun issuing Records of Completion to tax return preparers who have met the requirements of a new voluntary program designed to help taxpayers determine return preparer qualifications in 2015.
Practitioners who want to participate in the new IRS Annual Filing Season Program for 2015 must complete the continuing education requirements by December 31, 2014.